Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
E.Badu: "How y'all gon stand by & let our music turn in2 poptechno cornball music?"
10-21-2010, 02:46 PM
E.Badu: "How y'all gon stand by & let our music turn in2 poptechno cornball music?"
"How y’all gone stand by and let our music turn into pop techno cornball ass music. We don’t own our music no more. Come to think of it, did we EVER own it? when I say own our music , I’m not talkin bout the artist I’m talkin bout the people … let me be quiet. I wanna hear from the young people? easy for me to complain about this techno-pop cause i have a taste for something else. but how do u feel? These rappers ought to be shame of they damn selves, I’m talkin bout the mc’ s rappin over this pop techno music. I believe in pimpin the system buy got DAMN! not like this. #pop-technosongs. I like the idea of no distinction in race when it comes 2 music, but SOULkeepers, U dont give up the boom bip and the hump 4 the payday. I love house and techno as a side dish .But now it’s served as the main course AND that’s ALL u gone get. like chittlins in the back house. I love music PERIOD. just not ready to say goodbye to the boom bip and the hump .. kinda painful for my generation to see. just strange 2me. Yes, no1 wants 2B poor again. artist have2 sacrifice integrity of the music sometimes 2 make ends meet. this is understood.but gotDAMN now. if you’ve never tasted good p*ssy your satisfied with ass hole. (that’s terrible ain’t it .) lol"
-Erykah Badu
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
RE: E.Badu: "How y'all gon stand by & let our music turn in2 poptechno cornball music?"
Have you seen storify.com?

You sorta grassroots storified badu's joint.

Interesting how the quick change in presentation format (from twitter timeline posts) changes, not merit, but digestion and I guess synthesis for me. And perhaps meaning too.

I kinda dig it this way.
10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
RE: E.Badu: "How y'all gon stand by & let our music turn in2 poptechno cornball music?"
(10-21-2010 04:20 PM)kamille Wrote:  Have you seen storify.com?

You sorta grassroots storified badu's joint.

Interesting how the quick change in presentation format (from twitter timeline posts) changes, not merit, but digestion and I guess synthesis for me. And perhaps meaning too.

I kinda dig it this way.

good point about the change in format...i can say i was def. more interested in not skimming and tryna get what she was saying in this format as opposed to seeing the actual tweet. dunno what that says about me reception of information, but good observation. Smile
10-22-2010, 12:18 AM
(10-21-2010 05:53 PM)nikki Wrote:  good point about the change in format...i can say i was def. more interested in not skimming and tryna get what she was saying in this format as opposed to seeing the actual tweet. dunno what that says about me reception of information, but good observation. Smile

Glad we peeped that. What formats or platforms are you finding are most effective for you as far as receiving information digitally? Which platforms mesh the best with your info-consumption tendencies and preferences?
10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
(10-22-2010 12:18 AM)kamille Wrote:  Glad we peeped that. What formats or platforms are you finding are most effective for you as far as receiving information digitally? Which platforms mesh the best with your info-consumption tendencies and preferences?

on a general level, i find my self copy+pasting articles/quotes into word docs and printing them out and filing them for later use. i still like to hold paper in my hands, i guess. but it's also interesting for me to sort of curate my own little packet of essays, articles and quotes for the week or month...

digitally tho, i tend to take small bits best as opposed to large amounts of info...so twitter is a little overwhelming for me...but i like having the options to skip the large info and parse thru it to get to exactly what im lookin for.

how about yall?
10-23-2010, 12:34 PM
(10-22-2010 12:20 PM)nikki Wrote:  on a general level, i find my self copy+pasting articles/quotes into word docs and printing them out and filing them for later use. i still like to hold paper in my hands, i guess. but it's also interesting for me to sort of curate my own little packet of essays, articles and quotes for the week or month...

digitally tho, i tend to take small bits best as opposed to large amounts of info...so twitter is a little overwhelming for me...but i like having the options to skip the large info and parse thru it to get to exactly what im lookin for.

how about yall?

Word to that. I do the same thing (copy+paste+print+file), particularly for the stuff I KNOW I'll be using as some sort of teaching tool in the future. More and more I've been using gmail to organize myself as well. I'll copy and paste articles and quotes into a draft, and label it appropriately. This just helps me with being able to search for it and access it quickly from anywhere.

Another thing that I've been finding myself doing recently is taking random quotes from the same person in different texts and formats and creating my own little essay for them based on a threading of common themes in the different quotes. I guess, for my own archiving and organizing purposes, I like the idea of taking something out of its original context and watching what it does in another context. Which is why I appreciated achali's aggregating tactic with Badu.

One thing I'm hanging up the towel with is Google Reader, until further notice. I just can't anymore. Things just end up piling up and I find myself wanting to go and and seek the info, and curate it myself anyway, like you say, rather than it just coming to me all willy nilly.

I'm still trying to find ways to navigate twitter, and have been mainly thinking of ways that I can incorporate the use of it into my writing instruction. On one end, I appreciate how it encourages word economy and poignancy. But I wonder about the "sound bite seeking" mentality that it fosters, as well as the way people generally except immediately responses. But I'm interested in it because people, young and old, are SAYING things, and I generally want to hear what they have to say.

I've found that I like looking at people's tumblr pages. I think that platform definitely resonates with one way I like to receive info: short and sweet and allowing me to research it more to find or insert my own meaning.
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 04:53 PM by achali.)
I actually found this twitter quote already compiled on multiple gossip sites. Someone else actually put this together not sure who the originator was though, but I definitely liked the effect it had as well.

Now far as reading habits: Not being on Facebook has improved my digital reading comprehension. Of course I only have anecdotal evidence but it feels vastly improved, focus wise. I just can't have hundreds of friends whispering in my ear every day. The difference with Twitter is that unlike Facebook there is no inbox function and picture tagging so you can ignore it if you want and think about it when you want. Facebook forces you to interact with it, if you neglect it you might end up with another clogged inbox (anxiety for me) and mad pictures tagged of you that you might otherwise have untagged, etc.

Aside from that, sticking to my physical world workout schedule and trying to make as many meals as possible helps me filter my digital time in general, I find.

Also, trusting my real-world connections to deliver me vital info through good old email or word of mouth, instead of the old feeling of feeling like you're a competing data miner to your peers to find and share the best stuff has helped. My trust has grown as I've seen that this really works -- my friends and fam always seem to email me or tell me about the important stuff I needed to see that I missed and in turn I do the same for them and it's a simple way to help cultivate bonds too.

This allows me to continue using Google Reader. However, I did unsubscribe from all overly personal blogs -- my intimacy is valuable and I barely have enough time to call my parents and best friends so reading folks' diaries up-to-the-minute I've decided is just absurd.

I don't subscribe to newspaper sites anymore. Decided that news sites are like newspapers -- when you "pick" one up you pick it up and skim through the front page, sections you're most interested in, and some of the main pages of other sections to see what's up. And nowadays most sites have popular posts lists which helps you keep up with buzzing topics. To me magazines are for detailed reading, not newspapers. This includes technology sites. Huge time wasters. I check em when I check em now. Yahoo Pipes allows you to create custom RSS feeds for certain sites too. Otherwise I just subscribe to specialized interests -- music archivers, academics, community oriented folks, etc.

The "list" function on Twitter lets you focus your reading, and you can treat that like a newspaper or river of info... when you check it you check it... no pressure.

i.e. http://twitter.com/liberatormag/gdupwithastraightbump

I don't print anything out though that I come across on the internet, for the time being.